The wargaming butterfly strikes again! I seem to have found myself exploring the Franco-Prussian War (1870-1871) of all things. As luck would have it, I actually had the Wargames Illustrated FPW special (#313) secreted on the bookshelf waiting for this special day.
But WI being WI, they’ve covered this conflict many times over the years. A bit of digging later, and I unearthed a treasure trove of FPW articles. They too, can be yours. Simply get a WI Prime membership and search in The Vault on their website. Membership only costs £1 for the first month (EDIT: The 1st month is actually FREE until Friday 4th December).
I’ve listed the issue numbers below with some explanatory blurb where the subject wasn’t clear from the article title.
Do let me know if I’ve missed any!
- 002: 25mm Franco-Prussian Wargaming (Matthew Hawkins)
- 004: Reflections on Firepower in the Franco-Prussian War (Peter Dennis)
- 010: Rules for the Use of the Prussian Artillery 1870-71 (Martin Tomczak)
- 014: Organisation and Equipment of the Prussian Artillery 1870-71 (Martin Tomczak)
- 017: French Colonial Troops and the Franco-Prussian War (Stephen Shann)
- 063: St Jerôme – A Franco-Prussian Battle by Phone
- 063: Back To Basics V – Writing Scenarios (Richard Clarke)
- 064: Back To Basics VI – Campaigns (Richard Clarke)
- 065: They Died For Glory – A Review (Richard Clarke)
- 075: Franco-Prussian War Scenarios (G.J. Kennerley)
- 080: Franco-Prussian War Naval Lists (Andrew Barrow)
- 080: “A Berlin!” – Rules for refighting actions from the Franco-German War 1870-1871 (Philip Robinson)
- 083: The Mitrailleuse in the Franco-Prussian War (Steve Shann)
- 083: 1866… and all that (Richard Clarke)
- 084: Tactics in the Franco-Prussian War pt. 1 – French Tactical Doctrine (Mike Johnson)
- 085: Tactics in the Franco-Prussian War pt. 2 – Prussian Tactical Doctrine (Mike Johnson)
- 086: Tactics in the Franco-Prussian War pt. 3 – From Reality to Rules (Mike Johnson)
- 106: Von Boltenstern & The Principles of War (Richard Clarke)
- 169: Campaigns for Scenario Writers – The Franco-Prussian War (Jeff Fletcher)
- 209: A Comedy of Errors – or How Not to Win a 19th Century Battle (Mark Jones)
- 237: The Battle of Artenay, 1870 (Adrian Martins)
- 276: Polishing That Old Gem – Adapting The Battle of Froschwiller Worth to Black Powder (John Desch)
- 313: Ah, Les Braves Gens – Wargaming the Franco-Prussian War (Gerard Miller)
- 313: Dashed Hopes – The Battle of Wörth (David Tuck)
- 313: Big Battle, Big Game – The Battle of Gravelotte-St Privat (David Marks)
- 313: Franco-Prussian War Figure Round Up (Wayne Bollands)
- 361: 1871 – Bruce Weigle’s Designer Notes